Email filtering refers to a way of organizing the emails according to laid down criteria. It is basically the spontaneous processing of all the incoming messages that enter into the mailbox. It is also the interference of the human intellect with the help of anti-spam techniques in the outgoing and the incoming emails. Email Filtering passes the messages in the mailbox for the user and also sometimes deletes the message automatically and puts it in the bin. Mail filters also edit the message while processing it.
Benefits of email filtering
- It helps in reducing the large and bulky volumes of data and also the server as it helps in separating the unnecessary data that would result in wastage of time
- It helps in minimizing the spam and the viruses that enter through the mail, this would help in looking into important things and not missing it because of other spam emails.
- It helps in minimizing the risk of blacklisting and detects the junk emails if they are present in a mail by monitoring any services present on the internet.
- It provides a buffer if the mail server is not working properly and any undelivered message would automatically be sent back to the sender as a non-delivered message that is bouncing of the message.
- It provides any additional archive and email option and the filtering strictly applies to the external messages.
- It helps in enhancing the performance as servers may help in connecting a large number of people via recipients and thus makes the process of delivery much easier and efficient.
Mail filters are generally installed by any user in the form of their email program or even as different programs. Personal filters are applied to the emails and Email Filtering is done according to the criteria